What with summer coming up, I love to rely on salads filled with protein and healthy fats like this Avocado Cucumber and Chicken Salad! This Salad is low carb – just 12 grams of carbs – and 21 grams of protein. You can always add more protein if you’re moving more, focused on building muscle or have higher protein needs.
Protein is vitally important for maintaining and growing muscle. In my Fabulous Over 40 program, I teach this along with many other hormone balancing and energy improving strategies!
Healthy fats that are in avocado and olive oil also help you stay satiated for longer and keep your energy stable. You can also substitute olive oil with avocado oil – this is one of my favorite oils.
Avocado Cucumber and Chicken Salad
- For the salad:
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- a dozen basil leaves, torn
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ cucumber, peeled
- ¼ cup (25g) walnuts
- For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. honey
- For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp. yogurt plain coconut
- 1 tbsp. mayo – Paleo compliant mayo made with avocado oil is preferred
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Place the iceberg lettuce into a large bowl. Add torn basil leaves and mix. Divide between 2 serving bowls.
- Season the chicken fillets with salt and rub with olive oil. Heat a dry pan and fry the chicken for 5 minutes on each side.
- In the meantime, mix the mustard and honey. Grease the top of the fillets with half the sauce, then turn and cook for another 1.5 minutes. Repeat on the other side. Once cooked, cool slightly and chop.
- Cut the avocado flesh into cubes, and drizzle with lemon juice. Peel and slice the cucumber.
- Prepare the garlic sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients — season with salt & pepper.
- Top salads with the chopped chicken, avocado, cucumber, and walnuts. Pour over the garlic sauce, and serve.
In my Fabulous Over 40 program, clients learn how to lose weight sustainably, adjust their diet to fit their needs, reduce inflammation, regain their energy and more!